Functions of National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority
- To implement and enforce the provisions of the Drugs (Prices Control) Order in accordance with the powers delegated to it.
- to deal with all legal matters arising out of the decisions of the Authority;
- to monitor the availability of drugs, identify shortages, if any, and to take remedial steps;
- to collect/ maintain data on production, exports and imports, market share of individual companies, profitability of companies etc, for bulk drugs and formulations;
- to undertake and/ or sponsor relevant studies in respect of pricing of drugs/ pharmaceuticals;
- to recruit/ appoint the officers and other staff members of the Authority, as per rules and procedures laid down by the Government;
- to render advice to the Central Government on changes/ revisions in the drug policy;
- to render assistance to the Central Government in the parliamentary matters relating to the drug pricing.